Vitamin C or ascorbic acid is one of the most popular vitamins. Its name comes from its property to cure scurvy. It is water-soluble, it can oxidize, and it is not resistant to heat and ultraviolet rays. The human body is unable to synthesize it, so we should permanently refill our stocks.
Recommended daily dose of vitamin C: 60-100 mg
Vitamin C sources
• The most appropriate sources of vitamin C are vegetables and fresh fruits, especially citrus fruits (oranges, lemons, pineapple, grapefruit), red berries (raspberries, currants), kiwi fruit, vegetables (broccoli, potatoes, tomatoes, cabbage, parsley ).
The vitamin C benefits for your health:
• It is involved in producing collagen that, because of ascorbic acid, has a great importance in healing damaged tissue, prevents wrinkles;
• It plays an important role in the formation of teeth;
• It interferes with metabolizing process of certain amino acids, folic acid and sugar;
• It participates in the production of certain neurotransmitters;
• It contributes to the formation of antibodies and interferon, it has an anti-infective action, it makes the colds last less and fights against bacterial aggression;
• It neutralizes free radicals, because of its antioxidant properties;
• It protects against the possible occurrence of cancer;
• It has a laxative action;
• It reinvigorates the blood vessels, thereby preventing cardiovascular disorders and reducing crises causing emphysema in smokers;
• It facilitates iron absorption;
• It is a effective antihistamine in treating allergies and has a beneficial effect for asthma victims;
• It helps remove the state of anxiety, fatigue, stress.
Useful health tips about vitamin C or ascorbic acid
• Vitamin C can prevent contracting the influenza virus;
• It is removed from the blood in 4 hours of its administration;
• A smoker of 20 cigarettes per day shows a deficit of 25% ascorbic acid and a 40% deficit if he smokes more than 20 cigarettes / day;
• Ascorbic acid preserves better in an acidic environment;
• Vitamin C does not cure any type of cancer, but it helps eliminate toxins from the body;
• Vitamin C supplementation may influence the results of biological tests such as creatinins , blood glucose and urine;
• Some experts do not recommend chewing gum with vitamin C because there is the risk of an attack on the tooth enamel.
Find out more health benefits of vitamins and minerals.