One of the most popular eating plans of all time, The South Beach Diet, was created by highly respected cardiologist Dr. Arthur Agatston, who designed the South Beach diet with a relatively simple principle. Replace the "bad" fats and carbs with "good" fats and carbs.
According to Agatston, hunger cycles are triggered not by carbohydrates in general, but by carbohydrate-rich foods that the body digests quickly, creating a spike in blood sugar. Such foods include heavily refined sugars and grains. The South Beach Diet eliminates these carbohydrate sources in favor of relatively unprocessed foods such as vegetables, beans and whole grains with low glycemic indices. Foods with low glycemic indices are considered "good".
3-Phase South Beach Diet Plan
The South Beach Diet is divided into three phases, and all three include specific allowable foods, meal plans and recipes.
- South Beach Diet Phase 1: Two Weeks of Restraint- In this phase, the dieter eats normal-sized helpings of lean meats, such as chicken, turkey and fish. Vegetables are also alowed, so are nuts, cheese and eggs. The goal is to eat three balanced meals a day, and to eat enough so that hunger pangs are avoided.
Diet Foods To Include for Phase 1
- tenderloin, sirloin, skinless chicken, turkey breasts
- all types of fish
- whole eggs
- fat-free cheeses
- peanuts and pstachios
- green vegetables and legumes
- canola and olive oils
Diet Foods To Avoid for Phase 1
- beef rib steaks, honey baked ham, breast of veal
- all kinds of yogurt, ice cream and milk
- full fat cheeses
- beets, carrots, corn, yams
- fruit and fruit juices
- all alcohol
- starchy foods such as bread, oatmeal, rice and baked goods
2. South Beach Diet Phase 2: More Liberal Meal Plans- This is where the healthy carbohydrates are slowly introduced, such as high-fiber carbs and whole grains, which raise the insulin levels in a much milder way than starchy carbohydrates.
Additional Diet Foods To Include for Phase 2
- most fruits
- fat-free or 1 percent milk
- whole grain starches
- barley and pinto beans
- red wine
Diet Foods To Include Sparingly for Phase 2
- refined wheat baked goods
- beets and carrots
- bananas, pineapple, watermelon
3. South Beach Diet Phase 3: Weight Maintenance– This diet phase is an even more liberal version of the initial diet plan and lasts for the rest of your life. It is used to maintain the healthy weight and by this stage, cravings for bad foods will be minimal as the dieter will have settled into the eating plan already.
The South Beach Diet has tried and tested principles applied to it’s eating plan. It’s not a low-carb diet, neither is it low-fat. Instead, The South Beach Diet teaches slimmers to rely on the right carbohydrates and the right fats. As a result, participants lose weight, lower their cholesterol and eliminates cravings without feeling hungry.