The need to take dietary supplements while dieting is best judged by considering the type of diet you are using to lose weight. If you are on a starvation based unhealthy eating diet, you need to take dietary supplements. If you are following a healthy diet, you don’t need dietary supplements.
Dieting doesn’t have to be hard on your body. Any diet that forces you to take all kind of dietary supplements isn’t a healthy diet. You should stay away from such diets.
It isn’t at all that hard to make sure your body gets all the vitamins and minerals it needs. Just by eating plenty of fruits and vegetables you give your body more than it requires. Add some organic meat and you are bursting with minerals and vitamins.
And you get to lose weight. A diet based on lots of vegetables with some organic meat (grilled especially) is a super way to lose all the excess weight you might have. It’s easy to follow, it tastes great and it keeps you healthy.
Now when it comes to taking dietary supplements – if you choose to do it – you have to know the following:
- Your body has a hard time assimilating and using synthetic vitamins. You can’t compare the natural stuff with what is created in a lab.
- You have to make sure you don’t go over the daily recommended dose of each of the dietary supplements you are taking. Taking too much of a vitamin or mineral can be as harmful as not supplying your body with enough. For example iron (especially for men) and vitamin A can be toxic.
- The FDA’s daily recommended value for vitamins and minerals is considered too low to promote optimal health by many doctors and scientists. The daily recommended values purpose is that of preventing deficiency related diseases like scurvy and pellagra. They aren’t the recommended amount to take to make sure your body has enough resources n case of illness or injury.
- Food Sources of Vitamins: get your daily dose of healthy vitamins
- What Vitamins Are Good For Your Eyes: the eye health vitamins
- Vitamin Deficiency Symptoms According to Each Vitamin
- Vitamins and Minerals and Their Health Benefits
- Mineral and Vitamin Deficiency Symptoms: get the vitamins you need