Your body responds to stress by increasing the quantity of stress hormones produced by the adrenal glands. These hormones are responsible for most of the symptoms associated with stress: increased blood pressure, muscle tension, digestive disorders. Because of the extreme importance of the adrenal glands in the optimal nutrition of the body and the reactions to stress, food rich in nutritional substances which help the adrenal glands’ functions are extremely helpful for reducing stress.
- Celery is an old remedy popular for reducing arterial tension. The compounds in celery reduce the concentration of stress hormones which constrict the blood vessels. Consuming a stalk of celery before sleep can produce a peaceful sleep.
- Sun flower seeds represent not only a rich source of potassium but also vitamin B and zinc
- Brown rice contains slow absorbing carbohydrates, which can trigger the release of serotonin and noradrenalin. This will help you to better cope with stress, improving your mood and giving you sustained energy
- Algae contain approximately 60% protein and are derived of the 8 basic amino acids. They have an energizing effect on the liver and facilitate toxin flushing , reducing the body’s stress level
- Cabbage is a good source for vitamins :A,C and E (which reduce stress), beta-carotene and mineral selenium;
- Almonds are a very rich source of magnesium, which support the adrenal glands’ functions and the processing of essential fatty acids
- Forest fruits in the form of berries (blackberries) and strawberries have a rich content of magnesium and vitamin C;
- Sesame seeds offer the necessary zinc quantity for stressful periods.
- Cucumbers have a calming effect on the blood and the liver;
- Asparagus contains a lot of the regenerative elements for the liver, kidney, skin, muscle ligaments and bones;
- Garlic contains a detoxifying substance called alicina, which gives garlic it’s taste and smell. A powerful antibiotic, alicina has antiviral and antifungal proprieties also it reduces cholesterol, blood pressure and improves the mood.
- Avocado stimulates the body’s functions and stimulates growth. It’s also worth mentioning about the rich concentration of iron and cooper, substances used for regenerating red blood cells and preventing anemia- one of the most common causes of fatigue and incapacity of dealing with stress efficiently.
The first reaction to stress is panic, also called the “fight or run” reaction. This is triggered by certain chemicals in the brain which make the pituitary gland (which controls the body’s hormonal system) send chemical messages to the adrenal glands, telling them to secrete adrenalin or other stress hormones. Also there are certain foods and drinks that stimulate the body, becoming direct causes of stress.
You should also check out: